Sunday, July 17, 2011

Catalina Island











Just after school got out, my mom and I decided to take a little vacation. She didn't have much time off of work, so we decided on Catalina Island. Neither of us had been there before and I had no idea how to even get to the island or where to stay or what to do there, but we had a ton of fun! I found a hotel online and hoped that it wasn't dirty or full of bugs! It turned out to be an awesome place to stay, away from the main part of town, so it was quiet and fun. The only problem was it was clear at the top of a hill with no elevators and my suitcase weighed at least 60 pounds. Luckily, I didn't have haul it up, just down! The first day we got to the island and took a night boat ride to the other little town on the island called Two Harbors. We had dinner there and went to a little store. As we were waiting to get back on the boat you could see the halibut and some sharks swimming right under the pier. Some of the men there were spear fishing the halibut and it was cool to watch. The next morning I signed us up for parasailing. My mom was super scared, but it was so much fun! I would love to do that over and over again! The rest of the day we just shopped all of the little shops and had some yummy seafood. On the island there is Descanso Beach Club where you can rent cabanas or chaises for the day. We rented a couple of chaises and did nothing but sit in the sun all day. Needless to say, I ended up with probably the worst sunburn of my life. I had blisters from my knees to my ankles, but boy was it worth it! It was the best part of the whole trip! We also rented a golf cart, a must have on the island and pretty much the only way to get around. Some kids on a boat told us it takes a really long time to get a car or a truck to the island so everyone pretty much just drives those. There is one grocery store there, a Von's, and the aisles are barely big enough for one little cart to get down. There are about 7 aisles and they are really tall, but narrow. I would imagine that if you lived there you'd get a little sick of the tourists! Once we got back to San Diego we went to Seaport Village and World Famous. My legs hurt so bad it wasn't much fun to do anything, and I wasn't in the best mood! But it was such a fun trip and I'd love to go back there anytime! The rest of my summer has been pretty uneventful, but that's just the way I like it! I'm ALMOST ready to head back to school, I think!

2 comments:

Clint and Krista said...

I'm so jealous it looks like you guys had so much fun minus the sunburn !

Marleen said...

Had SO SO much fun! Thank you for going with me, and putting up with me. I know sometimes I can be a pain in the royal ya know.

I LOVE YOU!!